US-ASCII

Perry Smith pedz at easesoftware.net
Tue Jul 20 12:14:33 EDT 2004

The postgres backend basically creates a statement to send to postgres
to create the database.  It pieces this statement together and one part
is to get the value of nl_langinfo(CODESET) and append "... ENCODING %s
..." where %s is the value from nl_langinfo.  The code right now,
returns "" on my Mac OS  X system (10.3.4).  I fiddled with it and
managed to get it to return "US-ASCII" but postgres rejects this value
as well.  There is also compile time options to force the value of
US-ASCII.

So I dug into the postgres code and it does not have a US-ASCII
encoding.  It has such things as iso-8859-1, etc.  It points to an RFC
in the comments.  Looking at the RFC, it mentions US-ASCII as an alias
to another code page but I can't deduce which one.  The reference is in
some weird code that I did not take the time to figure out.

Also, I dug through all the IBM code and it never returns "US-ASCII".
All this makes sense since it is not really a code page by modern
standards.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix this.  I could just
remove the "ENCODING %s" part under the assumption that postgres will
encode the database based upon the LANG settings.  May as well let it
guess what encoding rather than gnucash guessing -- there is no way to
specify the encoding externally.

Another choice is to twist the US-ASCII encoding into something else
(if nl_langinfo returns US-ASCII, replace it with XYZ.)  But I'm not
sure of a great value for XYZ.

The third approach (get ready to laugh) is to pester Apple into fixing
their code since it definately appears to be not up to the latest
standards.  "Latest" in this case is pretty old as well.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Perry