gconf2 (was Re: g-wrap (was Re: QOF won't link))

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Mon Jun 21 00:25:30 EDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:23:23AM +0200, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists was heard to remark:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>
> > It would be seriously cool if gconf was distributed, so that, e.g.
> > when machine 2 shows up on net, its gconf would sync with that from
> > machine1.  After sync machine1 could be shut down, or whatever ...
> > machines could come & go, join the party & leave... the data would
> > persist.
>
> User updates config on machine2, logs out, machine2 goes down. Next time
> user starts up he'll have lost his updates if machine2 didn't come up yet.
> Whuah, hard problems here... :-P

Well, the updates on machine 2 would have to be broadcast back to
machine 1 and/or machine 3.  Ideally, every machine at the "party" is
in sync with all the others at the party.   Like the eternal flame,
as long as there's at least one machine in the party, the party goes
on. And if the party is broken up ... tough luck.  Version numbers
and such might help reconstruct things if the various machines went
thier own way for a while, and then rejoined the party.  Versioning is
hard... but I think something usable that did 'the right thing' almost
always could be built.

--linas