[Patch] print-check.scm and wallet checks with stubs

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 01:24:34 EDT 2004

Attached is a proposed patch for print-check.scm (with associated
tweaks to dialog-print-check.c and print.glade) to allow gnucash to
print Quicken-style personal wallet checks with stubs on the left side
of the sheet. I have been using these check forms for years from my
foxpro or filemaker cash database instances because they are small
enough to fit unfolded in any creditor's bill reply envelope, and the
stub gives me an additional level of transaction backup for my checking
account.

Features: defines appropriate top/middle/bottom positions for this
thinner (shorter?)  check
   adds printing of stub (same four variables as main check area), with
payee and memo truncated to 21 characters, if necessary, to fit on the
stub

Side effects in print-check.scm:  faced with either nesting another
level in gnc:*stock-check-positions* or adding the check height to
gnc:*stock-check-formats*, I eliminated the positions declaration and
put top/middle/bottom in the formats declaration. The new definitions
explicitly admit that the user might want to print a stock position
with a custom format -- so stock-check-formats now has an entry for
'custom.

Gratuitous commentary:
Add my vote to the gotta-rewrite-check-printing pile
Another vote to ask that we non-business users get name and address of
payee printing, too.

Thanks for the great app, folks. Don't count on too much code from me.
But I might well get to the  point where I can do some good on
documentation. For instance, it looks to me like the Deluxe check
format could be easily tweaked by a user to handle any single end-fed
check one is likely to encounter. That fact isn't well described in any
of the docs I've run across yet.

Dave
--
David Reiser