Wishes to the new G-Wrap maintainer?

Wed Jun 30 14:04:20 EDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Andreas Rottmann wrote:

> Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:
[...]
> > It's a pain in the ass for users to compile hundreds of small
> > packages versus a handful of large ones.
> >
> Users should be using a distribution which provides package management
> (and not compile packages at all).

Ummwell, maybe. True, hacking gnucash was a breeeze:

	# apt-get build-dep gnucash
	# apt-get source gnucash

but I wouldn't be that sure if a similar approach would work if I had to
work on gnucash CVS, maybe depending on several other libraries fresh from
CVS. And I'm not sure either if potential developers that are running
other distros (SuSE, RH) have a similarily lucky as debian, gentoo and
similar distros -users.

Mind you, a "developer" is most often a user in the first place ("scratch
your own itch") - this is especially true in the open source world.
Increasing the complexity means increasing the barrier of entry, which is
something to reasonably avoid.

Please don't take this as an affront - I just want to say that the above
reasoning needs to be taken into account.
*t