Wishes to the new G-Wrap maintainer?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 30 14:47:26 EDT 2004

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>
>> Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:
> [...]
>> > It's a pain in the ass for users to compile hundreds of small
>> > packages versus a handful of large ones.
>> >
>> Users should be using a distribution which provides package management
>> (and not compile packages at all).
>
> Ummwell, maybe. True, hacking gnucash was a breeeze:
>
> 	# apt-get build-dep gnucash
> 	# apt-get source gnucash
>
> but I wouldn't be that sure if a similar approach would work if I had to
> work on gnucash CVS, maybe depending on several other libraries fresh from
> CVS. And I'm not sure either if potential developers that are running
> other distros (SuSE, RH) have a similarily lucky as debian, gentoo and
> similar distros -users.

In a similar vein, "wait for a distro to distribute the package"
implies "wait 12-24 months" before we use it.  That's also
unreasonable.

The whole world does not run Debian/Unstable.  Please don't assume it
does.  Think "Debian/stable" and we're at least on the same page.  Oh,
that release was made 12 months ago?  Welcome to the real world of
infrequent updates.  Welcome to my world.