libgda .... Re: GnuCash page on GO site

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Sat Mar 6 11:07:46 CST 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 05:27:32PM +0100, Rodrigo Moya was heard to remark:
> so, your database is a XML file then?

gnucash supports the storage of data in both xml and sql.

> libdbi does what libgda does, so there's no point in using one from the
> other.

OK, then I misunderstand libgda.

libpg and ODBC and libdbi are low-level communications
libraries that do not offer any sort of abstraction, they're
just straight-ahead API's for SQL database acess.  They are
adequate for what they do.

But I thought the goal of libgda was to provide a set of high-level
abstractions to multiple data sources, including sql and xml and ldap,
which would imply that libgda is comparable to other high-level
abstraction libraries.  But maybe that is libmergeant.

Finding the correct high-level abstraction is difficult, which
is why I kept harping on bond and gnue and qof and dwi.
None of those packages do it all, they're all shit, they've
all got major faults and shortcomings, but they're all
that we have today .  It would be very nice to have a
database abstraction layer that combined the best features
and aspects from bond and gnue and qof and dwi (and mergeant
too I guess). I was hoping to have a conversation about
the high-level database abstraction layer.

--linas