GRAND MASTER PLAN

Wed Mar 10 10:33:03 CST 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 09:55:29AM -0500, Jody Goldberg was heard to remark:
> > > Speaking of which, is there an example of how a programmer (in C or
> > > scheme) can create a gnumeric spreadshhet & put data into it?  I'm
> > > not sure I've ever seen such a thing.
> >
> > Depends on what you're trying to do.  Simple export is problably
> > best done by generating the xml directly.  No need to link to
> > gnumeric at all.  Alternatively there are things like
> > pworkbook, or jworkbook to provide a comfier api via python or java
>
> :-(
>
> Well, that's been the topic of this thread, and from that vantage,
> generating xml is inadquate.  Same reasons, previously covered,
> that I don't want to generate abiword xml to get an abiword report.
> Been there done that (actually that's how gnucash currently works,
> it generates html, not xml, it uses gtkhtml not gnumeric for layout,
> although adequate, it most definitely is *not* the cat's pajamas.)

Exporting to XML for the sake of creating a report wouldn't be that
painful though. You don't generate reports constantly. But you need to
start, open and save which, I guess, takes long and is therefore clumsy.

(Posting this to gnucash-devel only as this is just a side-comment that
you can pick up or not)
*t