Privacy

Charles Goodwin charlie at xwt.org
Thu Mar 18 09:08:59 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 14:27, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > I must say I don't realy get the problem with login/logout.
>
> Its stunningly slow.  And its impractical.  If my wife wants to
> look at a web page real quick while I go to the bathroom,
> login/logout isn't effective.  If music is playing, a logout
> would stop the music.

I don't often agree with Linas ;) but I'm going to do a spectacular
U-turn (based on my last comment on this subject) and completely agree
with him and the approach he's trying to take.

Especially in a Unix environment (would probably have to be done
different in Win32) all the controls are there for mixing in users in a
single session so why force the interruptions of sessions.

It might be something much less trivial than listening to music that you
are interrupting; perhaps a conference of some form (Gnome Meeting?)
where you need to bring up GnuCash to inspect some figures.  You could
create a million and one example scenarios like that.

And, as Linas points out, it's much better to take a generic approach to
this rather than a GnuCash-specific hack.  It should probably be part of
Gnome or maybe even more generic than that - a standalone lib for other
applications to use.  It'll be simple enough.
--
- Charlie

Charles Goodwin <charlie at xwt.org>
Online @ http://www.charlietech.com