libgda vs. gnucash [was Re: GnuCash page on GO site]

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Wed Mar 3 10:37:04 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 10:24 -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 04:12:25PM +0000, Charles Goodwin was heard to remark:
> > On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 15:55, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > > The point is, I think, that qof already does things that
> > > gnucash needs.  Indeed, its a spinoff from gnucash.  In fact,
> > > it does some things that libgda does not currently do.
> >
> > You've said this several times without actually qualifying it. ;)
>
> Arghh. I thought I had. Lets try again. gnucash has
>
> -- an object query system. libgda does not.
> -- a uuid system. libgda does not.
> -- an object persistance infrastructure. libgda does not.
> -- a multi-user object caching and cache-coherence system. libgda does not.
> -- a data-set partitioning system. libgda does not.
>
> We are not making forward progress.

so, since gnucash has those features that are not in libgda, we don't
make progress?

We are making progress though. since now we know what you need from
libgda. So, next question is, how separated from gnucash are each of
those features? Would it make sense/be not a too hard work to try to
integrate them into libgda? or to change them to use libgda for the
basic data access and management?

cheers