GnuCash page on GO site

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Wed Mar 3 10:31:35 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 09:55 -0600, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:12:08AM +0100, Rodrigo Moya was heard to remark:
> > > http://qof.sourceforge.net/ but its only gotten to 0.2
> > >
> > it does basically waht libgda does. I have no time now to look at it
> > with detail, so what's so different on it from libgda?
>
> Well, this is the fundamental political problem, isnt it?
>
> I could say the same about libgda: "it does basically what
> qof does. I don't have the time to figure out what libgda
> does, so why don't you tell me what it does?"

well, I was not trying to be sarcastic or to imply your product is worst
than mine, I was just asking for information. And I asked you, because
you said you had tried libgda and that it didn't fit your needs, so you
wrote your thing. Thus, I was just asking what is wrong in libgda and
good in qof.

BTW, in fact, mergeant, part of gnome-db, has something pretty similar,
and much more advanced than libgda/libgnomedb. It contains a way to
manage a data dictionary. That will be merged to libgnomedb/libgda once
mergeant 1.0 is out.

> The point is, I think, that qof already does things that
> gnucash needs.  Indeed, its a spinoff from gnucash.  In fact,
> it does some things that libgda does not currently do.
> So why should I go out of my way to rip up the guts of
> gnucash to replace it with libgda which does less than
> what gnucash already does?

no, you shouldn't, if there's no technical merit on that, and I guess
nobody said that. What this conversation is about, if I'm not wrong, is
to try to get GNUCash to be a GO app, isn't it? In that case, we need to
share technology, and for that, we need to know what our needs are.

You are saying qof provides you what you need for GNUCash. That's great,
so then let's see what it's got and how it could be merged/used in
addition to/whatever with libgda. I guess you are using some API to
access the databases, am I right? If so, what API(s)? Could those API(s)
be replaced with libgda, which provides an abstraction over many
supported RDBMS? What changes would be needed in libgda to allow that?

cheers