[gnome-db] Re: Abiword report generator [was Re: Dynamic dataqueries]

msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Sun Mar 7 06:48:53 CST 2004

> On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 05:58 +1100, msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au wrote:
>

>> It is easy enough to make a "Insert Data base element" as a field with
>> some SQL query or higher level abstraction assosciated with it and have
>> it
>> update in the doc in real time. This is at the expense of doing a
>> data-base query every N seconds. I guess you'd call this a "pull" from
>> AbiWord. I think this would be rather easy to implement with libgda. I
>> should speak to Rodrigo about it.
>>
> yes, should be pretty easy. What else do you need to know? Anything I
> can do to help?

Firstly I have some general questions. How expensive is it to do a DB
query? Is there a clever way to cache the result of a query? We only need
to refresh it if DB is changed.

Next is libgda going to use the new gnome-keyring feature? It would be
nice and more secure to store the username/password of a DB connection
with that facility rather relying on AbiWord to securely store them.

Cheers

Martin