[gnome-db] GRAND MASTER PLAN

Dru andru at treshna.com
Fri Mar 12 20:28:06 CST 2004

Silvana Di Martino wrote:
> Alle 12:43, domenica 7 marzo 2004, Dru ha scritto:
> Please, allow me to bring some contribution to this thread.
>

>>Overall vision:
>

> Should not you know them already, have a look at:
>
> Rekall, a clone of MS Access (runs on Qt):
> www.totalrekall.co.uk
> www.rekallrevealed.org
> www.thekompany.com
 >
> GNUccess, another clone of MS Access (alpha):
> gnuccess.sourceforge.net
>
> GNU Enterprise:
> www.gnuenterprise.org
>
> Mozilla SQL native interface:
> www.mozilla.org
>
> XULMaker, a Visual GUI builder for Mozilla/XUL:
> www.mozdev.org
>
> They can be a source of inspiration and, maybe, the people working on these
> project could be willing to cooperate with you.

I like rekall for what it is but its kde so i excluded it orginally, its
properly the most mature workable solution out there.  I'm just trying
to look at gnome here.  gnue i wont go into. Mozilla i never paid enough
attention because of my shortsigntness in assuming its just a browser
technology. But i recently did a project in xul.  Its a interesting
powerful perspective.

>>Reporting
>>Report Designer.
>

> Have a look at the report designer of Rekall for inspiration.
>
> I vote for not wasting time in creating a specific Report Designer and Report
> Engine. Just make your data available to OpenOffice, AbiWord and KOffice and
> let them do the job. Wordprocessors and Spreadsheets are well-known by
> end-users and can make a great job on reporting.

If word processes and spreedsheets did a good job of reporting people
wouldn't be using ms access and crystal reports and whole raft of other
solutions for doing reporting under windows. word processers only offer
a limited solution for reports.