g-wrap and cygwin

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 25 16:15:52 CST 2004

Milind Kamble <mbkads at yahoo.com> writes:

> I spent I atleast 3-4 weeks maniacally fixing
> configure.ac, Makefiles.am and patching source code to
> get to the point of g-wrap working with slib-26d, and
> then guppi (it isn't even supported anymore) and then
> gnucash.

Where are the patches?  I've never seen them.  Had I seen them
I would have commented, or attempted to get them pushed into the
upstream package (assuming they were reasonable).  Getting g-wrap
to work on windows is a perfectly reasonable thing, and I'm SURE
we can get the patches into the package.  Similarly, patches to
gnucash would be accepted, too...  Provided they are portable patches
and done reasonably-well ;)

FWIW, the g2 port of gnucash wont use guppi; our plan is to use
Gnome Office Graphing (gog).

> Just my $0.2 worth of caution.
>
> However, there is an exciting new way to have gnucash
> running on Win-XP platform. Install colinux (visit:
> http://www.colinux.org). Have a basic cygwin and
> cygwin-xfree86. colinux provides a virtual
> machine/environment to run a full-fledged linux system
> as an XP process. I run the Debian-3.0r0 based system.
> Then using apt-get, you can painlessly install all
> packages without issuing a single configure or make or
> gcc command. It works like a charm.

This seems like a lot more work and space than a windows port and
"binary package" of gnucash..  But then again I'm not a windows
developer (or user) so I certainly have no incentive to do this
myself.