New help

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Tue May 4 10:29:19 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 07:35:09PM +0800, Jason Tan was heard to remark:
> Hi,
>

> I've just read a request for help in the Linux-Announce Digest #758.
>
> I'm not sure if I'll be of much help.
>
> I'm an accountant by profession, but I'm much inclined towards IT. As
> such, I understand what both the accountants' and programmers' wants and
> needs, and constraints.
>
> I'm more used to programming high level languages like dBASE but I think I
> can understand some smathering of C.
>
> I'm still not a full fledged Linux user since I still rely on some windows
> based software for my work, e.g. Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc.. Thus my
> primary OS is still windows, but I have my pc dual boot into Redhat 9.
>
> With regards to availability of time, I have to admit first that I'm busy
> with work and currently doing my MBA.
>
> Hope I can contribute somehow.

Well, a standard part of running a software business is maintaining
a customer support/bug database.   GnuCash has one, with hundreds of
reports in it (literally).   Someone needs to go through them, and
figure out if the bug has already been fixed, and if not, if there's
enough information in there to reproduce it again, and finally, if its
a high or low priority bug.  Those that are fixed or cannot be
reproduced need to be closed.  This is called "triage".

Note that most people (including probably yourself) will hate doing
this kind of a task.   Some people enjoy doing it.  Try it, see if
you like it.  If you hate it, think of it as part of your MBA training:
someone in a software company does this on a daily basis.

--linas