Wiki

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 4 21:28:49 EDT 2004

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> The archives are in a sub-domain of gnucash.org but how is that configured?

Right now there are two machines that have gnucash.org addresses
(there are no subdomains, just hostnames in the gnucash.org domain):

machine1 is "gnucash.org", "www.gnucash.org", and "mail.gnucash.org"
machine2 is "cvs.gnucash.org" and "lists.gnucash.org"

We've got an MX record set up so mail prefers machine1, then machine1
(and then linas' machine).  So, mail should go to the list server
unless it's down, in which case it'll get queued on one of the other
machines and then sent to the list server when it's available.

machine1 is in Texas, machine2 is in Massachusetts.  There is no
special network between them, no VPN, no NFS.  So you cannot assume
that machine1 can access data on machine2 or machine2 can access data
on machine1 except through the same public interfaces that anyone else
can use.

> I can definitely search any publicly accessible HTML content from any site with
> no local cache, it all depends on the speed of access. A simple pattern match
> on --beginarticle-- and --endarticle-- can be used to limit searches to the
> relevant content. All pages carry a link to the next message and you don't
> want the subject line to cause that message to show up in a search for
> content that relates to the content of the linked message.

Sure, but how does this work with a pipermail archive?  How do you
index it?  Obviously putting it onto the archive server would be the
best solution, IMHO, to allow easy indexing.

> For an example, take a look at DCLUG:
> http://www.dclug.org.uk/archive/
> This is a MHonArc archive built from a mailing list of similar volume to
> gnucash-devel where the archive is stored on the local filesystem. Speed is
> obviously relative to the hardware available and I'd tailor the script to try
> to make best use of the available performance. The archive script is
> time-aware so that it automatically generates links as each new archive is
> created.

We use pipermail archives.  We don't have the original mbox archives
for most of our data (they were destroyed a year or so ago).  Any
solution we have needs to deal with pipermail and must index the
individual article HTML files.

>> We've already got access to a Wiki.  We've been using the GnomeSupport
>> Wiki.  For example, the FAQ is at:
>>
>> http://gnomesupport.org/wiki/index.php/GnuCashFrequentlyAskedQuestions
>>
>> And we've got a bunch of other GnuCash wiki pages there.
>
> Is that linked from the www.gnucash.org home page?

Yes.  See "FAQ" in the menu.  However there is no "wiki" link per se.

> Should this page be updated?
> http://www.gnucash.org/en/state_of_the_gnucash_project.phtml

Oh, probably.

>> > So I could help with:
>> >
>> > http://www.gnucash.org/en/state_of_the_gnucash_project.phtml
>> > Make sure the mailing lists are easily searchable
>>
>> This is useful.
>
> I can do this tomorrow. All I need is access - SSH or FTP, I can do the
> scripts in PHP. If you can let me know how to access the location for the
> script(s) by tomorrow morning GMT, I'll work on it straight away. (Feel free
> to encrypt any access instructions).

You could just email me the scripts and I can install them.  Let me
know what other information you need.  No offence, but right now not
even the developers have shell access to the server.

> With regard to:
> http://www.gnucash.org/en/contribute.phtml
>  We even need someone to make sure that the mail archives are running
> correctly, and that recent mail is getting indexed & is searchable.
> (webmaster selected)
>
> Is that bit about checking the operation of the mail archives still a problem?
> From only a casual use of the archive, recent messages seem to be added very
> quickly. The 'searchable' I can solve for you.

No, it is not a problem any more.  The lists are running fine, and the
archives are running fine.