I put a bounty

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Fri May 28 11:33:33 EDT 2004

Sooo ...

Isn't anyone going to announce that they hope to work on this?

--linas

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 01:38:55PM -0400, don Paolo Benvenuto was heard to remark:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm using gnucash in a rather complex situation, managing accounts of
> three subjects all together. I have many accounts (900) and many many

Are your accounts all at the top level, or are they nested?  If nested,
what's the largest number of subaccounts in an account?

> many txns (20,000).
>
> In that situation, gnucash is running very slow: on my p4 1.8 G 256 M
> ram it takes 5 seconds to open an account register, and the same time to
> save a new txn.

I doubt this makes a difference for this case, but your computer
is megahertz-rich and megabytes-poor.  For typical Linux desktop usage,
you might find that a machine with a processor half-as-slow, but with
twice-as-much memory will be faster.  Maybe. I know I do.

(You have a typical windows config.  I suspect that windows machines
are always memory-poor because of some technical windows reason.)