Run a Wiki on www.gnucash.org?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 01:42:56 EST 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 11:57 pm, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > The wiki at gnomesupport.org that we've been using has chronic
> > problems.  It's down a significant portion of the time, and it's
> > just plain hard to maintain.
> >
> > So, how hard would it be to run a wiki on www.gnucash.org?  I could
> > certainly put one on cvs.gnucash.org but I think that www is more
> > appropriate.  Linas, what say you?  I know you're busy with other
> > things, but would definitely appreciate your input on this.
>
> My #1 concern is security; that enabling a Wiki will allow a system
> compromise.

I run several Wiki's, including one on a server where security is a higher
than average priority. IMHO, the weakness of a Wiki is in being spammed,
rather than causing the server to become insecure. Using a Wiki based in PHP
and MySQL, it's easy to 'rollback' to previous versions which makes dealing
with spam a simple issue of browsing the Wiki from time to time and rolling
back changes made to advertise spam content etc. You could obviously adjust
the PHP code to deny certain words as well.

In general, Wiki code is good enough to catch exploit attempts and can
neutralise the danger of &#...; codes, hexadecimal references and other
problems.

I'm certainly happier with a Wiki than with message boards written in Perl.
I've found a Wiki no more of a problem than most other content management
systems.

--

Neil Williams