Run a Wiki on www.gnucash.org?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 14:57:11 EST 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 4:57 pm, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Josh Sled wrote:
> > Hmm.  Except when the software on top of the web server opens new
> > vulnerabilities by evaluating it's parameters using shell tools without
> > proper value checking...
>
> I would recommend not running a wiki based on shell tools.

That's why I use wikis based on MySQL and PHP. I don't like using similar
functionality from Perl scripts etc.

> There is still the possibility of local exploits, of course.
>
> Using mod_python to run moinmoin runs the wiki as the apache user - not
> recommended if the same apache instance is serving Gnucash files.
>
> Also, for best performance, moinmoin needs a real database (it uses
> bsddb by default).

A real database is a real bonus (!) - it makes it trivially easy to rollback
to the previous version.

On the subject of alternative hosting, I can also provide bespoke access (FTP
to your own root directory that is independent of the rest of the sites on
the server) if someone else wants to tweak the design and then maintain the
Wiki (my time is pretty much allocated). I've already got family members
accessing their own restricted areas, it's no hassle to add someone from
here.

MySQL databases already available, masses of disk space - although the Wiki is
not even going to dent the overall quota - and easy admin. I can even provide
a web admin interface if necessary.

--

Neil Williams