Build problems

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 9 13:03:56 EDT 2004

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at newearth.org> writes:

> I downloaded CVS source (1.8.10?) on my suse 9.1 system.  I had the
> following build problems:

Nope, you downloaded CVS HEAD which is more like the 1.10
pre-pre-pre-alpha tree.  You probably should have downloaded the 1.8
branch if you want a stable source tree and the 1.8.10 precursor.

[snip]
> + lots more errors like that
>
> I "solved" both of those by modifying the Makefiles to ignore those
> directories.  Gnucash continued to build, but when I try to run it, I
> get:

Well, duh!  You told it to ignore the engine.  It's not like you
can just ignore major pieces of gnucash and expect it to work!

> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
> ERROR: file: "libgw-gnc", message: "/opt/gnucash/lib/libgw-gnc.a:
> invalid ELF header"
>
> However,
>
> readelf /opt/gnucash/lib/libgw-gnc.a
>
> seems to look OK.
>
> Any ideas where to look?

Uhh, if you have a .a that's bad.  You need a .so (shared object).