version and version_check

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Sep 1 09:40:28 EDT 2004

Unearthing some old email I'd missed (disk overflow):

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:38:55AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Should version and version_check be compared/set in a merge?
>
> _maybe_.  IIRC these are used for object versioining between the
> engine and the backend.

Yep.  Until the backend is fully developed, I don't want to
encourage any general use, because I'm nt sure how these will
turn out.

> > Various objects use these members in the structs, they can be merged using
> > QOF_TYPE_INT32 with no bother - question is, should they?
>
> I've never heard of QOF_TYPE_INT32.  I don't think we have one, nor do
> I think we should have one.  I can't imagine any user-servicible parts
> that are only 32-bits wide.  We've got QOF_TYPE_NUMERIC for numeric
> values and QOF_TYPE_INT64 for non-"numeric" numbers.

For political and possibly technical reasons, it might be wise to
make the qof types look more like the glib gobject types.  But I
see no immediate need to go that way just yet.

--linas