Auto-save feature desired

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Sep 30 18:18:46 EDT 2004

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Derek Atkins wrote:

> David Grant <david.grant at telus.net> writes:
>
> > What about those people who don't use SQL?  Auto-save would be a nice
> > feature.
>
> You dont understand... You wont have a choice not to use SQL, just
> which particular SQL backend you use.  SQLite will be the new "file"
> backend, and Postgres will continue to be its own larger-scale system.
> See www.sqlite.org for more information.

I looked at www.sqlite.org.  It looks like a *really* good choice for
a single user database with no configuration - e.g. gnucash for home
users.  Good choice!  Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

As far as I can see from a quick glance, the key feature that is sacrificed
to allow it to be fast and simple is multiple active transactions.
(Plus, there is no GRANT/DENY or user or permission meta data tables.)
This is perfect for a single user application.  I like how it fully
implements transaction processing and recovery for the single active
transaction.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>