Sotcks in different currencies with differents bank accounts currencies

Nicolas Scheffer nico at airboum.net
Fri Apr 15 13:09:13 EDT 2005

Derek,

Thanks for your answer.
Yes i would like to have some enhancement trough a patch to be able to
use all my accounts correctly.
To be sure regarding my requirements, here is a sort of summary:

I am using Gnucash with the Euro as a default currency and also in all
report.
I have two bank accounts:
- one in Euro, Bank A
- one in USD, Bank B

I have three brokers for trading:
1) one in Euro when i buy stocks in Europe linked to Bank A
2) one when i buy stocks outside Europe (mainly US) linked to bank A <-
working only if i enter each USD transaction converted in Euro,
fetching price stocks and report are working
3) one when i buy stocks in the US only (USD) linked to bank B <- not
working at all, if i enter the USD price report are wrong when i update
stocks price, normally i should be able to enter the transaction with
the origin currency (USD) and got the report converted to my default
currency <- not working

--------------

1) is working perfectly

2) is working only if i convert the origin transaction (USD) to Euro
before to enter it, but it could be better if i could enter it in USD
directly, because when i define the stock the currency is USD, why i
need to enter it in Euro to have it working ?

3) is not working at all.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Nicolas

On 15 avr. 05, at 14:48, Derek Atkins wrote:

Nicolas Scheffer <nico at airboum.net> writes:

> Derek,
>
> Is there a change to have the implicit and explicit exchange rates to
> handle my current problem ?

No.  At least not in any short timeframe.

> Or it's a current real limitation on GnuCash ?

Yes.  Maybe.  There are potentially three "currencies" in every
two-split transaction:

1) The "currency" of account A
2) The "currency" of account B
3) The Transaction "common currency".

At this point there is no way for the user to set #3.  If you're
working from a currency-based account then #3 is set to the same
currency as that account (e.g. if you're in a USD Bank account then
transactions are created with USD common-currency).

However if you create txns in a non-currency account (e.g. Stock
account, or the General Ledger) then Gnucash "chooses" the locale
currency as the the txn common currency.

I don't know if making this currency visible to the user would
aleviate your issue.  Regardless, the restriction that all txns in a
particular account are denoted in the account commodity will never go
away.

> I suppose i am not alone to have different bank accounts with different
> currencies (USD and Euros) and handling stocks on both bank account
> with different currencies ?

You're the first person that I've heard speak about it.  If you want
it done, I suggest sending in a patch.

> regards
>
> Nicolas

-derek