"Hello world"

Daniel Tudosie dtudosie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 16:05:17 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 20:41 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Saturday 23 April 2005 7:32 pm, Daniel Tudosie wrote:
> > I have been using gnucash for some time and I am satified for now...
> > furthermore, as I have background in IT development (I have studied
> > Scheme, I am working as dev in C/C++, etc), I am thinking of getting
> > involved in the development of this product...
>
> Excellent! Where would you like to start?!?!?! WELCOME!

Well, for now I don't really know... I have compiled the
gnucash-gnome2-dev branch onto my Ununtu system (distro based on Debian
unstable - for those who do not know...) and I will look into the code,
as I liked how it looks but also noticed that not all reports work

> (BTW. Did you worry about the delay in getting your message back from the list
> and re-post? I got a duplicate!)
> :-)

Yes, :),  I sent two or three mails (the reason is that first I sent a
mail from an unregistered mail address)

> > Ofcourse I would like to help in the effort of porting gnucash to gnome2
> > but my
> > experience in developing under linux is some-how limited (and note that
> > I used the term *experience*).
>
> OK. Have you got GUI experience with Gnome2? Do you have GUI experience from
> other toolkits? The largest part of the G2 port is implementing existing
> functions in the 1.8 tree in the new G2 GUI environment - as you'd expect
> from any port really.
>
> Don't be put off by the recent rants on the user list, the devel list works on
> merit alone. If your code and questions are sensible, you'll find it an
> extremely useful list.
>
> I've documented some of my early mistakes on the site linked below, take time
> to read a little of that and you'll avoid treading on toes or making a fool
> of yourself like I did. (Didn't I, Derek!)
> :-)
>
> > So I am asking
> > what development env. are you using ? (I am using gnome and I
> > have installed Anjuta which I am not familiar with;
>
> Debian unstable, Anjuta, local CVS, bash. That's about it. I find Anjuta is
> excellent, especially when you are learning the code. Right click any
> function and the Go -> Tag Definition menu is your friend. It's just so
> stable too. It even integrates nicely with CVS.

I have tried Anjuta but for now we haven't got the chance to become
friends... :)

> Don't expect certain Anjuta tools to work, there are a few discrepancies in
> the Gnucash tree compared to what Anjuta expects. e.g. You can't launch Guile
> direct from Anjuta and I can't launch gnucash direct from Anjuta either.
> That's probably for the best because you can launch it from a terminal and
> Anjuta provides that.
>
> > but I am also a fan
> > of gnu emacs) is there a "dev tips and tricks" section that I haven't
> > found ?
>
> (I never use emacs, others here do.)
>
> I've put up a little bit:
> http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/startqof.html
> http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/startqof.html#GNUCASH-DEBUG
>
> The Wiki is useful too.
>
> Doxygen is your main tool though. The Gnucash site has the 1.8 tree doxygen
> output and I've got the G2 doxygen output here:
> http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/gnome2/

I will certainly read the information on these links

> > For the rest of information (e.g. about specific libraries to be used in
> > develpment) I will either search or ask.
>
> To build from CVS on Debian, I've put up a list of the libraries you'll need:
> http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/preface.html
>
> > So this is just a friendly "Hello world" message to the dev-list (a more
> > friendly mail list I hope :-) ).
>
> v.friendly. You'll naturally be told of if you:
> 1. break the build
> 2. ask daft questions
> 3. don't show a willingness to learn
>

>From that point of view I am experienced from my commercial job (i.e. be
very carrefull not to break the build, search before ask something and
anticipate/answer the questions when I give some information, etc.)

> So you're already on the right road.
>
> Take your time, learn from what is already done and ask. That's all I'd
> recommend.
>
> My work revolves around QOF - almost exclusively nowadays. I'm into data
> abstraction, XML, data mining, export, import (especially from other
> applications like pilot-link), objects, merges, documentation and anything
> else that generally makes the GnuCash data more accessible.

Looks like you have the same taste as me...

> I try to avoid GUI work because I know my limits!

Well,

Best regards to everyone !

Daniel