"Hello world"

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sat Apr 23 16:15:31 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 14:32, Daniel Tudosie wrote:
> Ofcourse I would like to help in the effort of porting gnucash to gnome2

The best place to start here, apart from "simply" getting the code
checked out and built, is the GNOME2_STATUS file.  It contains the
canonical list of issues, differences and overall status of the
gnome2-porting effort.

Note that this file is only found on the 'gnucash-gnome2-dev' branch.

> mail-list) what development env. are you using ? (I am using gnome and I
> have installed Anjuta which I am not familiar with; but I am also a fan
> of gnu emacs) is there a "dev tips and tricks" section that I haven't
> found ?

Well, there's README, of course.  The HACKING file, but it's a bit
light...

In terms of development environment, I use emacs.

> For the rest of information (e.g. about specific libraries to be used in
> develpment) I will either search or ask.

Most of our dependencies are listed as checks in configure.in.  Given
our historical and overall dependency issues, we're definitely picky
about introducing new dependencies.

> So this is just a friendly "Hello world" message to the dev-list (a more
> friendly mail list I hope :-) ).

Certainly it is.  The current thread on -user is really atypical, FWIW.

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 16:05, Daniel Tudosie wrote:
> Well, for now I don't really know... I have compiled the
> gnucash-gnome2-dev branch onto my Ununtu system (distro based on Debian
> unstable - for those who do not know...) and I will look into the code,
> as I liked how it looks but also noticed that not all reports work

Hmm.  Most of the HTML/table portions of the reports should work just
fine. Charting and graphing is a known problem; see GNOME2_STATUS for
more details.  There is a sub-branch for the GOG integration, though
there are some more recent developments (like earlier this week) not
really reflected anywhere. :/

...jsled