Newbie: how to launch gnucash built from source ?

Geert Janssens janssens.geert at advalvas.be
Fri Apr 29 06:01:09 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'd like to import sales data from a self-developed inventory program (in Ms
Access) into gnucash. (I mentioned this on IRC a while ago as well). As far
as I can tell, I'll have to add some custom code to gnucash for this. In
order to become more familiar with gnucash's internals, I browsed through the
GnuCash website, downloaded the CVS HEAD source, and managed to build it
(based on the README.cvs autogen.sh rule).

And then I got stuck already :-(

I couldn't figure out how to start the freshly compiled gnucash (make install
installed it in /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash). That means, when I
run /opt/gnucash/bin/gnucash, it seems as if the gnucash that gets installed
with my distribution (Mandrake) is run instead: ps -ef | grep gnucash shows:

/usr/bin/guile -e main -s /usr/lib/gnucash/overrides/gnucash <book-name.xac>

So it uses /usr/lib instead of /opt

How can I have it start the build installed in /opt ?

This seems like a trivial thing to do, but I can't figure it out... <blush>

Thank you,

Geert Jan