Newbie: how to launch gnucash built from source ?

Geert Janssens janssens.geert at advalvas.be
Fri Apr 29 09:50:23 EDT 2005

On Friday 29 April 2005 14:53, you wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 06:01, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > So it uses /usr/lib instead of /opt
> >
> > How can I have it start the build installed in /opt ?
> >
> > This seems like a trivial thing to do, but I can't figure it out...
> > <blush>
>
> That's odd.  How did you build it?  I.e., what arguments did you give
> when running `./autogen.sh`?
>
> I usually do:
>
> ./autogen.sh --prefix /opt/gnc-g2-unstable --enable-debug --enable-etags
> --enable-doxygen && make install
>
> When I then do `/opt/gnc-g2-unstable/bin/gnucash`, it definitely runs
> the /opt -installed version.
>
> ...jsled

As a very first attempt, I had run (in this order)
autogen.sh
make
make DESTDIR=<some local directory> install

After which I could not run gnucash from that local directory. So immediatly
after this attempt, I used
./autogen.sh --enable-ofx --enable-opt-style-install --prefix=/opt/gnucash
which I copied litterally from README.cvs, followed by
make
make install

But as I said, it won't run from there.

Since your reply suggests it should, I have removed everthing, and started
from scratch, this time avoiding the very first attempt (the one without
parameters to autogen.sh, and using DESTDIR). Gnucash starts just fine now
(indicating CVS version), so I suspect the DESTDIR construct caused something
to get poorly configured.

Thanks,

Geert Jan