Firebird Database support

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 5 10:48:36 EDT 2005

Hi,

The current database code is old, crufty, and incomplete.  I would not
suggest basing any new work off the existing code.

A newer re-implementation of the SQL backend is in the works; indeed
some developers have been working on it off and on (more off than on)
for the last couple years.  It is unfortunately still a ways off, I'm
afraid.

The idea is to use a DB abstraction system, like GDA or DBI, so we
could let the user decide which db backend to use...  And THEN we can
make the "default" (file) backend be SQLite ;)  I do not know if there
is a Firebird backend for GDA or DBI, but you might want to check
that out.

So, if you want to help out on the SQL re-write, you're welcome to
help there.  Hopefully those people who have been spending the last
couple years working on it can speak up and you can coordinate how you
can help out.  Unfortunately none of that work is currently in CVS,
and I don't know the current status.

Good Luck,

-derek