CLI undo edit?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 14:42:13 EDT 2005

When editing an instance in the CLI, there is the option to print the instance
(to the terminal) at any point - to confirm what has and has not been
changed.

Once the edit is complete, any other instance can also be selected and
printed, re-edited or deleted.

There is also the option to merge an existing file into the current book.

Adding a new instance automatically moves into an edit sub-shell using the new
instance.

Once edited, the user still has the option to write the data out to a file
(either new or the original) or to quit without saving (with a prompt if the
book is dirty). Once GnuCash v2 XML is replaced, this would only apply to QSF
data.

Is it necessary to offer an undo at the edit stage or should edits take place
immediately (as in the GUI)?

Undo isn't a trivial addition so I wanted to check it was worthwhile - I can
see how to implement it for QSF but the GnuCash v2 XML is a touch more
awkward.

(The CLI commands, options and shells will also be included in PilotQOF and
any other QOF CLI programs.)

--

Neil Williams