QOF, GnuCash, dependencies and SQL

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Aug 17 05:25:07 EDT 2005

Just checking, GnuCash currently does not build the SQL components of QOF?

qofsql.c|h are in src/engine but not in the Makefile.am

I want to use SQL handling in the CashUtil CLI.

I also want to provide a generic data handling dialog in GnuCash that will
also use SQL. (After G2).

I can overhaul the QOF build process to bring in a dependency on libgda2 and
libgda2-dev, (in order to provide SQL access within the CLI).

The problem is the Debian libgda dependency on libxml2 is again higher than
GnuCash requires - 2.6.16 - which we've already ruled out. QSF uses 2.5.10
and I was surprised that even the Debian stable version of libgda put the
libxml2 dependency so high. I'm currently using libgda 1.2.1-2.

libgda is available on FC3 and FC4 (according to a google search)

libgda-1.2.0-5.2.src.rpm is listed under FC4 Extras:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/4/x86_64/libgda-devel-1.2.0-5.2.x86_64.html

libgda-1.0.4-3 would appear to be FC3, with a more usable libxml2-devel >=
2.4.12

Indeed, libgda appears to have been in FC1 which makes me think there was a
good reason NOT to use it when QOF was first being developed.
:-(

From the lib/libsql/README:
I copied this code here because I did not want to make QOF dependent
on the install of libgda or libsql.  If/when libsql is widely
available and readily installed, then maybe we can remove this code.
In the meanwhile, this copy will stop "dependency hell".

--Linas  Vepstas 7 April 2004

Is it time to revisit this?

Is this an overlap with the SQLite work?

Am I off on a wild-goose-chase? (or opened a can of worms?)

How can I test that libgda-1.0.4 is a suitable dependency for qofsql.c ?

I suspect it was 1.0.3 that Linas used :
libgda/libgnomedb 1.0.4 released 2004/April/18
http://www.gnome-db.org/news.php
libgda/libgnomedb 1.0.3 released 2004/January/17

1.0.4 certainly contains files that are familiar from qof's lib/libsql folder.

How high should we go? FC4 made a big jump to 1.2.0.
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/4/i386/libgda-1.2.0-5.i386.html
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/3/x86_64/libgda-1.0.4-3.i386.html

Is it FC3 or 4 that determines dependencies for G2?

--

Neil Williams