Feature Request: triggers or variable auto-transactions

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Fri Aug 19 16:24:36 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 12:48 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:

> Perhaps a special feature for posting a DDA could schedule the repayment
> just as the bank does, to have it happen right after posting the
> paycheck?  A dialog could take the initial information, like the amount

Could you simply create both transactions when you post the DDA?  Since
the paychecks probably come on a set schedule, you can always figure out
when the next one would be, and you can post-date the repayment
transaction to that date.

> transaction.  Q: Can this be done using scheme and current GC features?

Certainly, anything can be done if you're willing to write it. :)  It
would probably be a bit more involved than simply re-combining existing
features with scheme, but not too much.

> In thinking about this, it seems to me that a generalized mechanism for
> creating this sort of dialog would be very useful.  If the widgets could

Also useful is the idea of a palette of template transactions --
divorced from the scheduled transactions -- which can be instantiated by
the user.  They would be slightly different from the
whole-transaction-autocomplete that we currently have, mostly by being
first-class participants, and being available for explicit creation.
E.g., here, you could have a "Take DDAdvance" template that contained
both the advance and repayment transactions, and you could create them
as a unit.

The special form-filling dialog that you mention would probably be
unnecessary once you can create a whole set of splits at once; in
effect, the transaction/splits *are* the dialog.  OTOH, perhaps it would
be nice to have a custom dialog jump up, especially if the
template-split values are computations of symbolic values...

I've been musing about writing that for a while, but there are many
other higher-priority things for me right now. If this is your itch,
then scratch away!

...jsled