[RFC] Policy change for ChangeLog

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 2 12:20:25 EST 2005

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> Hmm, seems to be in the same vein as rcs2log and cvs2cl.  It's a bit
> more complicated than I'd like, but I guess that's the price paid for
> such precise control over formatting.

*shrugs*  I figured I'd throw it out.

>> I don't particularly like this option, but it's something to
>> consider.
>
> Is it more the concept of deriving ChangeLog at dist-time that you
> don't like or this implementation using xsltproc?

I don't like the concept of deriving the ChangeLog.  I see nothing
wrong with generating the ChangeLog by hand and then cut-and-paste
the log message into the commit-log.  It's what I've always done, and
as far as I can tell it's what everyone else does.  Create once, save
twice.

> I don't have any problem with the format of the raw output of svn -v
> log as ChangeLog entries, but the existence of a program like svn2cl
> implies that some people certainly do.

I think the raw output of "svn -v log" is rather ugly.
The again I don't see any problem with cut-and-paste.  Emacs
makes it just so easy as to be laughable.  I've spent more time
writing this email than it takes me to generate a log message
and save it to both the ChangeLog and the commit log.