[RFC] Policy change for ChangeLog

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 3 10:37:27 EST 2005

Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

> I also noticed that sometimes the commit messages aren't as helpful as
> the ChangeLog entries.  But, I'm not suggesting we should stop writing
> good commit descriptions, just that we should only manually put good
> commit descriptions into just one place.  So, a ChangeLog exported
>>From svn should be just as informative (if not more) for harvesting
> NEWS entries.

See, I see it the other way around.  Write a good ChangeLog entry
and then copy it to the svn commit.  Then you're guaranteed a good
log.  :)

It's REALLY not a lot of work, Chris.  We've spent an order of
magnitude more time arguing about it than just cut-and-pasting
the changelog into the svn commit every time.

I just don't understand why you feel like micro-optimizing things?
Does it really take that much time to do this?  Aren't there other,
larger issues that should be handled first?