[RFC] Use donations for more memory for svn/cvs/mail server

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Dec 3 10:40:10 EST 2005

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> On Friday 02 December 2005 6:02 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> I honestly don't think we're running anything extraordinary,
>> and the server load is pretty low, so perhaps I'm just being
>> alarmist about using up 25% of our swap space.  But that's
>> why I'm sending out this RFC -- to get your opinions.
>
> I have had occasional timeouts since svn went in.

What kind of timeouts have you had?

>> 1: Pay $64 for 512MB to bring total memory to 1GB
>> 2: Pay $151 for 1GB to bring total memory to 1.5GB
>
> I don't think - personally - that we'd use the extra RAM. However, for the
> price differential, IMHO it is a better option to go for the 1Gb addition at
> $151.

This does seem to be the consensus.  one person was even helpful
enough to point me to a few choices from tiger direct that are even
cheaper that $151 (although some of them require a mail-in rebate).

I'll go ahead with the purchase of the 1GB.

Thanks,