[RFC] gnucash-patches mailing list

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 18:36:56 EST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 11:10 pm, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 10:44:36PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 December 2005 9:29 pm, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > SVN diffs -> gnucash-changes because the code has changed.
> > patches -> gnucash-patches because the patch needs to be applied.
> >
> > Cease all current svn direction to gnucash-patches.
>
> I proposed this before and it was not received too favorably.  I
> pretty much agree with you about the uselessness of sending commit
> messages to -patches, but some people seem to want this.

I guess -patches would become really, really quiet so I can see your point
about then merging -patches into -devel.

The problem then would be things like the translations that can be truly
MASSIVE patches and if there's nowhere else to send them, it adds an
unwelcome burden to a -devel subscription, especially at the critical
pre-release time.

Contributors of small patches can still CC: -devel. I'd rather not have twenty
12Mb translation patches arriving in my -devel folder!

> OTOH, I still don't like the idea of segmenting out a list just for
> submission and discussion of a few patches.  So, combining what I
> agree with about your proposal with what I want to retain from my
> proposal would mean the complete elimination of -patches.  I can't say
> I'd mind.

I think translation patches could be a deal-breaker for some -devel
subscribers.

> Part of my motivation is that I think developers are grown by example.
> Segregating patch submission means that lots of "aspiring" developers
> won't actually see any user submitting code, because they'd subscribe
> to -devel but not -patches.  OTOH, when all of the aspiring developers
> on -devel see the occasional fellow-user submitting patches, it
> fosters thoughts like "Oh, so that's how people submit patches" and
> "Hmm, maybe I can do that, too."
>
> IOW, reducing my mail flow is really only the fringe benefit.  My real
> motivation is community development.

As is mine, but I'm also conscious that we could end up mail-bombing -devel
subscribers close to release time!
:-)

I suspect there are a whole lot more -devel subscribers than -patches
subscribers!

--

Neil Williams