[RFC] gnucash-patches mailing list

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 9 11:40:00 EST 2005

Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

> [This proposal has been brewing for several weeks, but has been
> expedited by Christian's recent complaint.  I think this will better
> address both my concerns and Christian's.]
[snip]

Here's my take on it:

1) People want a list where they can see the commit log messages
   without seeing diffs.  (I'll add that there's no requirement
   that this list be -patches, but there is a requirement that it
   NOT be -devel).  I see no reason not to provide this service.

2) /I/ want a list (not -devel) where people send patches to be
   applied, so I can keep track of which ones have been applied and
   which ones are still pending.  Personally I'd prefer better
   bugzilla integration and suggest that all patches go through
   bugzilla, but I think that's more overhead than people are willing
   to allow.

I'll note that I have no problem creating a new list, say
"gnucash-commits", that takes over role #1 and leave -patches
for role #2.  I agree that there is little reason to have these
two roles on the same list, but I think there's certainly a
demand for both.

I agree with everyone so far that discussion of patches should go to
-devel.  Indeed, I've already fixed the Reply-To on -patches to send
there, which should solve the immediate problem.

I think that patches/code meant for DISCUSSION (as opposed to
finished, tested, "please apply this" patches) can and should be sent
to and discussed on -devel.  However patches ready to apply,
translation updates, etc should go into something like -patches.
Ideally -patches would feed directly into bugzilla, but I don't
see that happening.

So I think my counter proposal:

  create gnucash-commits
  - duplicate the subscription database from -patches to -commits
  - move the svn log messages w/o diffs from -patches to -commits

  suggest people to send "code-to-test" to -devel, and "code-to-apply"
    to -patches

  consider better tracker integration so we don't lose patches.