[RFC] gnucash-patches mailing list

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 9 16:09:10 EST 2005

Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

>> I agree with everyone so far that discussion of patches should go to
>> -devel.  Indeed, I've already fixed the Reply-To on -patches to send
>> there, which should solve the immediate problem.
>
> Agreed, but it doesn't look like your proposal addresses the problem that
> Christian raised.  I think the Reply-To hack is useful, but it does
> have the hackish side-effects.

Hmm, I don't think I've seen that email.  At least I can't seem to
find it in my personal archives.  What was the problem that he raised?

>>   suggest people to send "code-to-test" to -devel, and "code-to-apply"
>>     to -patches
>
> I don't think this is a useful or practical distinction.  It's not
> _practical_ because the submitter probably has no idea whether or not
> the patch will generate discussion.  It's not _useful_ because not
> matter which category the submitter chooses, the patch needs the
> *same* amount of review.

Well, what would be BETTER would be to have all patches submitted
through some tracking system (bugzilla? Trac?) and then we can
forward the "new tracked item" message to -devel.

>>   consider better tracker integration so we don't lose patches.
>
> If your reason for wanting to segregate -patches is to keep track of
> applied vs. pending, maybe there's some way to do that while still
> getting more eyes on submitted code.  Hmmm... Idea: leave -patches for
> submission of user code, but deliver mail sent to -patches to both
> -patches *and* -devel.  That way:

I don't know if there's a good way to get mailman to do that.  I mean,
I can probably subscribe gnucash-devel to gnucash-patches, but that
just feels... wrong.

> (Christian's concern addressed)
>  * everybody on devel still sees user-submitted code (my concern
> addressed)
>  * there's still a place to look when you want to see *just*
> user-submitted code (your concern addresses)
>
> Any down-sides?

The difficulty of getting messages to both lists?  This also feels
somewhat clunky.  Also, honestly, I don't think we want or need
translation updates to go to -devel.