Compile Error

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 26 18:13:32 EST 2005

PLEASE CC GNUCASH-DEVEL ON ALL REPLIES...

Quoting Kevin Sgroi <ksgroi3 at twcny.rr.com>:

> On Saturday 24 December 2005 17:18, you wrote:
>> On SuSE 9.1 -- just install the RPM.  SuSE ships with gnucash.  Use it.
> That's the first place I checked;  SuSE does _not_ ship with GNUCash,
> at least
> not with the SuSE 9.1 CDs I purchased. in fact it doesn't even ship with a c
> compiler - only the c pre-processor.  I tried the only RPM versions available
> on the GNUCash site and its mirror sites, but the latest  version for  either
> SuSE or Solaris is 1.1.10, which would not install properly.

Suse most certainly ships with gnucash.  It also most certainly ships
with a compiler.

>> So, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.  But if you can't even get
>> a compiler working, well, there's very little anyone on this list can
>> do to help you.
>
> So GNUCash is not for mere mortals like me who lack a sufficiently pointy hat
> to even compile a c compiler?   I think I'll have better results, and avoid
> these kinds of egotistical comments I find on the lists by working out the
> problem myself.

The gnucash-devel list is not for "mere mortals like [you] who lack a
sufficiently pointy hat".  That's what the gnucash-user list is for.
gnucash-devel is for DEVELOPERS.  So, yes, on this list you are most
certainly expected to be able to install a compiler yourself...
ESPECIALLY when your distribution ships with one!  As for solaris,
have you ever tried www.sunfreeware.com?  You can get pre-built binaries
of gcc there....

-derek

PS: in the future, PLEASE REPLY TO THE LIST!