libguile-ltdl problem

David Reiser DBREISER at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 27 15:38:45 EST 2005

On Dec 27, 2005, at 12:17 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Quoting David Reiser <DBREISER at earthlink.net>:
>
>> compiling 12184, I run into a problem:
>>
> [snip]
>> grep: /sw/lib/libguile-ltdl.la: No such file or directory
>> /sw/bin/sed: can't read /sw/lib/libguile-ltdl.la: No such file or
>> directory
>> libtool: link: `/sw/lib/libguile-ltdl.la' is not a valid libtool
>> archive
>>

>> I  do have a libguile-ltdl.1.0.0.dylib, created at the same time
>> as  the rest of my libguile files. And there are some .la files,
>> but not  one associated with -ltdl. Have I munged my /sw/lib
>> directory?
>
> You might have munged it.  What this implies is that you have
> one .la file
> (lets call it "x.la") that references libguile-ltdl.la.   But while
> the
> latter file was not installed, the former (x.la) IS installed,
> referencing
> the (non-installed) libguile-ltdl.la file.  So, you have two choices.
> You can find and install libguile-ltdl.la..  Or you can figure out
> what
> x.la is and remove that, too.

Package managers are great until you try to work on multiple projects
without knowing what you're doing. Fink takes better care of
dependencies than I do. The .la file was supplied by guile16-dev.
Reinstalling solved my immediate problem. Now all I have to do is
figure out why guile-dev (from 1.4) was interfering now, when it
wasn't a few weeks ago.

> For the record, this is exactly why I think that installing .la files
> is /just wrong/ in ALL cases.
>
>> Mac 10.4.3, gcc 3.3
>
> Thanks for saying this all the time.  It really does help to know
> exactly what system you're using.  Even though it might be repetative,
> when we get tons of emails all the time it really helps keep context.
> I wish everyone did this on every email :)

> -derek

Dave
--
David Reiser