ChangeLog policy (Re: r12219 - gnucash/trunk/src - Move functions from GncPluginPageAccountTree to GncTreeViewAccount)

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Sat Dec 31 13:04:21 EST 2005

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 12:16:59PM -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:

> I also know that ChangeLog.svn has some deficiencies, like completely
> ruining whitespace and UTF8.  Fortunately, those are just deficiencies
> in the script, since SVN actually saves a good log.

Actually, all the things I don't like about ChangeLog.svn come from
the xslt.  The output of svn log -v is actually very useful and the
fact that you can limit output the specific changed files is nice.  E.g.

$ svn log -v src/gnome/gnc-plugin-page-account* |less

What I'd *really* advocate is convincing all the developers to use svn
log as the tool for inspecting, interrogating and filtering the commit
history.  I think the ChangeLog.svn should just be for tarball and
offline uses.

I'm not really motivated to improve the xslt when the raw output is so
useful as-is.  I'm really not wedded to any one particular format,
which is all the xslt buys us.

-chris