[RFC] A differnt options system

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Wed Feb 16 13:03:19 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 12:13 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

> The existing gnc option code has a method to save options into the
> Book.  See the File -> Properties menu option.

I know.

My question is why are we maintaining and even extending a private
options storage system that is totally orthogonal to the purpose of
managing finances.  I think its a waste of time an resources, and Chris
it right, it makes it harder for new developers to join gnucash.  I had
a hard time understanding the options code myself when I first started,
and i wouldn't say that I understand more than 50% of it today.  I
believe that switching to a shared options system like gconf is the way
to go.  That code is used by multiple applications (17 that I use on an
occasional or more frequent basis), is maintained by others, and is
already a dependency of gnucash.  The only downside I see is the current
lack of per data file options.

David