a request for the next 1.8.* version

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Wed Feb 16 20:12:06 EST 2005

Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb at becket.net> writes:
>
> > The problem on mips is a trivial one: gnucash works on mips, it's a
> > minor build system problem that prevents it.
>
> If it's truly a minor build system problem then a "minor" patch to
> correct it might be reasonable.  Although I really hope we don't have
> another 1.8 release...

Well, the minor patch--if you don't upgrade any build tools--would
require a tweak inside aclocal.m4 for the libtool macro included
there.

Basically, you need to tell the libtool macro to stop using the output
of "file" to recognize ELF shared libraries on a linux-gnu system, and
instead assume that every library is always ELF.  It already makes
that assumption for certain arch's.  Since the arch's not in its list
are now only supported by Debian, and Debian is ELF-only, there is
nothing really destabilizing there.

I can provide the details upon request.

Thomas