build system proposals for gnome2-branch

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jul 20 22:22:09 EDT 2005

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> Ok, I tested these changes and they pass the autogen/make/make
> install/execute test.  I did notice a couple things.  I now see *many*
> cases of:
>
> *** Warning: Linking the shared library FOO.la against the loadable module
> *** FOO.so is not portable!
>
> Where FOO is just about every object in the tree.

Yep, this is a known issue.  The half-assed modulatization effort conflated the
issue of Shared Library and Loadable Module.  So we're left with this crap.
Hopefully (after the g2 port, I suspect) we can fix the modularization.

> Also, the 'make install' after a 'make' seemed to take longer than I'm
> used to, but I may have imagined that.  Anyway, despite the warnings,
> it runs.  I didn't test Phil's patch, which looks better, but I don't
> have GNOME2_PATH set so I wouldn't have noticed.

I suspect this might be due to the "libtool relink" issue, where it wants to
relink all your libraries during "make install".  We had a workaround in our
version of ltmain.sh; it's possible your version does not.

> Since it didn't break my build, I recommend this for commitment to g2,
> with Phil's patch.  It'd be nice to squash those warnings, (along with
> all the GOG CFLAGS warnings) but we can do that later.

Thanks for testing.