Patch for acinclude.m4

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Jul 21 04:21:32 EDT 2005

Chris Shoemaker schrieb:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:28:14PM -0400, Phil Longstaff wrote:

Thanks, Phil, for your better patch about the GNOME2_PATH -- obviously I
hadn't thought this through. So your change should be used.

>>When I run autogen.sh, I get a number of warnings about underquoted
>>definitions.  I've attached a unified diff for a patch.
>
> Umm, but Christian's plan was to remove acinclude.m4 altogether.

Right (and in the remaining three legacy macros I already fixed the
quotations). The manual of automake says (section "5.8 Handling Local
Macros"):

    There are two ways to organize custom macros in a package.

    The first possibility (the historical practice) is to list all your
macros in `acinclude.m4'.  This file will be included in `aclocal.m4'
when you run `aclocal', and its macro(s) will henceforth be visible to
`autoconf'.  However if it contains numerous macros, it will rapidly
become difficult to maintain, and it will be almost impossible to share
macros between packages.

    The second possibility, which we do recommend, is to write each macro
in its own file and gather all these files in a directory.

(end quote)

Therefore, if we change the build system anyway, I suggested getting rid
of acinclude.m4. Also the manual of aclocal (section "5.9 The Future of
aclocal") rather suggests to get rid of acinclude.m4 and instead use the
macro subdirectory.

Christian