Dirty entity identification.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 22 10:55:25 EDT 2005

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> > What about Customers?  Invoices?  PriceDB Entries?  SXes?  Commodities?
>
> Most branches are probably shallow.  If an object isn't contained by
> anthing other than the book, then it's contained by the book.

You're trying to break the QOF object abstraction.  I think that's what Neil is
complaining about.

> > However, I still don't think we need that at the moment.
>
> I agree that we don't currently (and probably never will) need to
> track a list of *references* to dirty objects.  But, a boolean flag
> that propagates back to book might be more useful.  And if we ever
> *do* need to find the dirty instances, the boolean flag makes the
> search much easier.

And we already have that in the Collection Metadata.  Each Collection has a
boolean flag that says "has anything in this collection changed?"  QOF knows
about collections so it could drill down inside a collection if we really
needed to.  QOF, however, doesn't know that Accounts contain Splits, and
there's no way in the QOF Definition to say that in a way that tells QOF to use
that relationship instead of the Collections.

So we can already do this, indeed, we DO already do this now.  Just not the way
you want ;)