On Gnucash, G2, and Architecture

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Jun 7 10:13:09 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 09:54 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Then why spend time on it _now_?  I'm not saying not to spend time on
> it.  I'm just saying that it shouldn't be a priority _now_.  Help us
> get g2 out the door so we can ensure gnucash's survival.  _THEN_ feel
> free to really start ripping away.

I'm in strong agreement with you, Chris ... I think some major changes
and simplifications are needed to make GnuCash and it's developers more
nimble, and to attract more patches and active devs.

I'm also in strong agreement with Derek, here.  The _biggest_ change we
need to make right now ... the single most important thing that will
make it impossible to attract users, let alone devs, is the dependency
on gtk/gnome1.

It only complicates things to make any other changes before the G2 port
and the next release, especially now that the G2 port is as far along as
it is.

Personally, I'd be willing to forgo all the in-dev code (book-closing,
lots, budgeting and DB-backend) in order to get the next release out the
door, in order to unblock starting those other changes.

...jsled