ping...

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 12:14:03 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 3:31 am, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> Ok, 4 weeks without a single message!?!  C'mon!

:-)

I'm well pleased - there have been quite a few changes to the codebase during
my enforced absence (car accident) and subsequent holiday and it's as well
that the devel list was so quiet. My thanks to Derek for his support during
my absence - I'm OK, just needed some time out to sort out the finances, the
paperwork and a replacement vehicle.

> Is anybody alive out there?

Deep thought. My work currently requires a spell of testing and builds outside
the GnuCash tree (actually in QOF-generator) so that I can solve the
remaining problems in QSF. As a result, I haven't done more than bring my
working copy up to date with David's patches and commit my own brief changes.

> Is everybody busy whipping out some great g2 code? :)

My current code won't go straight into G2 but it will support the code that
goes into G2 - one of those preemptive tasks that just needs to be done to
allow progress elsewhere.

I've already got a method to create new object source code using HTML forms
and PHP.

Now I've all but completed a Perl script that will turn QSF XML into C source
code that can be compiled against QOF (CVS) to build a mini-application using
the objects defined in the XML. There is one remaining irritation but it
shouldn't take long to fix, it just means the generated code needs a tweak or
two before it builds. All such mini-applications are based on Pilot-QOF and
use the same build setup.

The intention is to make it much easier to build tools that handle (almost)
arbitrary selections of QOF objects. Once the next release of QOF is
complete, the script will also compile the generated code. Data exported from
GnoTime could be merged with data from GnuCash to provide data for a third
application. The script can create an application simply by parsing any QSF
XML file - including hand-edited files - and compiling it creates a usable
command line utility that can perform SQL-type queries and write out more QSF
XML.

It's in QOF-gen CVS if it's of interest.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/qof-gen/qof-gen/perl/

I'm using this to build test routines to solve problems with the map handling
in QSF. This is the last nut to crack before QOF v0.6.0 becomes available for
general release - closely followed by Pilot-QOF (v0.1).

--

Neil Williams