how to add ASE stock prices to stock quote module?

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Wed May 4 10:58:38 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 14:44 +0300, Nikos Charonitakis wrote:
> ASE=Athens stock exchange
> i ve posted some years before a similar message to this list and it
> was suggested to make a patch  for this purpose.

There are two different issues here.  The first is that a new ASE.pm
module needs to be written for Finance::Quote, which is a separate
project from Gnucash.  The second issue is that Gnucash 1.8 has a built-
in list of F::Q sources, so once the new module is implemented you will
still need a workaround to get Gnucash to use it.  The easiest
workaround is to replace an existing F::Q module that you aren't using,
say the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX.pm), with the new ASE module.
Then tell gnucash to get quotes from the ASX, but use ASE ticker
symbols.  The next major version of gnucash will know how to query F::Q
for a list of supported modules, so the need for this workaround will go
away in the future.

> Since i m not a programmer i would like to ask how easy is  to take
> another module  xxx.pm and modify it?

Not too hard.  I'll take a whack at it this weekend.

> Is there any particular requirements for the source format  of prices
> ? (i found a text , html, and xsl soures)
> http://www.ase.gr/content/en/MarketData/Stocks/Prices/Files/txt/20050503.txt
> http://www.ase.gr/content/en/MarketData/Stocks/Prices/Daily_Prices.asp?3/5/2005
> http://www.ase.gr/content/gr/Marketdata/Stocks/Prices/Files/xls/20050503.xls

This will help greatly.  Thank you.