command-line utility.

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon May 9 12:06:48 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 08:53 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> In effect, it becomes a data mining utility - working from exported XML. It
> would operate separately from GnuCash - it would neither access data files
> created using the GnuCash v2 xml nor interfere with a running GnuCash
> process. (Although I suppose it could do one or both if that was desirable.)

Um.  What _would_ it read, then?

> Should this be (yet another) stand-alone project (which would mean copying the
> QOF objects and keeping them in sync manually) or can it be included in the
> main GnuCash build (reducing it's size and complexity *considerably*)?

Certainly making _more_ copies of QOF source is a bad idea...

I'm all for a GnuCash CLI tool to interact with GnuCash data using
GnuCash semantics and idioms.  And while I can see the benefits of
having a generic CLI QOF-query tool, that seems like a tool to live in
the QOF source tree rather than the GnuCash source tree, and I'm less
enthused about it in general.

I've seen a GnuCash command-line tool as a useful thing to create in the
next-two-releases timeframe, if only because working towards it will
help seperate out the actually application/"business"-logic from the GUI
code, which is an important medium-term architectural goal for us.

...jsled