payroll

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu May 26 03:39:43 EDT 2005

Andrew Sackville-West schrieb:
>> That's not true.  I for one would be happy so long as the architecture
>> is generic and extensible to multiple locales, even if the original
>> implementation is specific to one locale.  C.f. the TXF report, which
>> was US only until recently.
>
> Seems to me there's really only a handful of ways to tax income:
>
> -- a flat % tax on all income (in US thats medicare)
> [...]

These (4) calculation methods you mentioned are already enough to also
cover the tax methods in e.g. Germany. Just remember that it should be
possible to have multiple deductions of each method, not only one, and
then you're done with Germany, too. (I.e. there's one flat % tax on the
gross income for medicare and another flat % tax on the same gross
income for pension etc.)

Aside from that, I would strongly support Derek's proposal that you
should just go ahead for a US payroll module (or whatever locale you
need) and not to worry too much about the
super-duper-hyper-international coding solution. Once the US solution is
in place (probably as one module), it is relatively easy to add modules
for other locales.

Regards

Christian Stimming