[Gnucash-changes] r11623 - in gnucash/branches/cashutil/cashutil: [temp]

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Tue Nov 1 09:27:41 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 11:21 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> I thought afterwards whether a SVN equivalent to a CVS tag would be required
> to mark the point immediately before a new branch is created. I guess it is
> replaced by the revision number for the actual branch creation?

It is replaced by such.   In fact, making a tag is insufficient, since a
tag is just a label, not a pointer to a specific revision number as it
was in CVS.   You'll need to use `svn log` to determine the repository
revision numbers of interest (or note them -- specifically the revision
number of the branch-creation -- up front).  `svn log` options `--limit`
and `--stop-on-copy` can be pretty useful to do this.

> The code itself is real and working - what I didn't commit was the
> configure.in / autogen.sh linkage that builds the cashutil code from the top
> level ./autogen.sh process. So the cashutil code doesn't build in the branch
> but it would build on it's own. Still, that's by-the-by, it's a demo and it's
> intended to be deleted in due course. Besides, it illustrates using a branch
> with code that would break the main build if committed direct to the trunk.
> :-)

One thing that *might* be useful (but also potentially confusing) here
is SVN's ability to have different sub-trees on different branches.  For
instance (and I'm not sure exactly how cashutil is supposed to be layed
out WRT gnucash), you could have:

    gnucash/    [<- trunk]
    gnucash/src [<- trunk]
    gnucash/po  [<- trunk]
      [...]

If cashutil is supposed to be underneath gnucash at the top-level, you
can then do:

    $ svn co svn+ssh://svn.gnucash.org/repos/gnucash/branches/cashutil/cashutil

which will result in:

    gnucash/         [<- trunk/]
    gnucash/src      [<- trunk/]
    gnucash/po       [<- trunk/]
    gnucash/cashutil [<- branches/cashutil/]

      [...]

When you subsequently `svn update`, it will respect these differences
and do the right thing down the line.  This is more useful when the
directory is *truly* isolated, but might be useful here too.

> Apart from that, a quite painless transition. Has the issue with .cvsignore
> converting to svn:property been fixed too?

It looks like I was wrong regarding cvs2svn ... I don't see any other
commits that would have done it, so I can only assume that it does DTRT
with .cvsignore files -- which does make sense.

...jsled